Our School Crest - StOPS

Go to content

Main menu

Our School Crest

All About Our School

Our School Crest

Our School Crest can be traced back hundreds of years and owes its origin to St. Oliver Plunkett himself and the Plunkett family.  Our crest is based on the Plunkett family crest with the changes St. Oliver Plunkett School has incorporated.

The Original Plunkett Crest

The original Plunkett Family Coat of Arms had 3 castles on it. These were symbolic of the 3 great castles of Dublin. When St. Oliver Plunkett became Archbishop of Armagh he had his own crest designed. He chose to keep only one castle because of his relationship with the local Talbot family of Malahide, along with the Bishops stole. Notice the shape of the cross on the stole, this was his own particular design.

Our crest has retained the stole and castle. The  Book of Learning has been added. The crest is the symbolic relationship between the religious aspects of the school (on the left) and the secular. On thesecular side is the association between the local environment (symbolised by the Talbot castle) and the school based learning (the book).

On our crest, the book has two pages. On the left page is the quote “Aoibhinn beatha an scoláire bhíos ag déanamh a léinn”(Summer delights the scholar with knowledge and reason). On the right page we have the Fingal raven – again sharing the association between learning and the natural Environment of the child.

The Fingal raven itself can be traced back to the defeat of the Vikings at Battle of Clontarf in 1014.  The region derives its name from the Gaelic words 'Fine Gall' meaning 'land of the fair haired stranger' in reference to the Vikings who settled in the area from the 8th century onwards. At the Battle of Clontarf 1014, during which the Irish Kings famously defeated the Viking invaders, the Viking flag was captured and the black raven featured on the flag remains the symbol of Fingal today.

Written in small lettering on the castle is: AMDG.  This is the latin for ad maiorem Dei gloriam or, in English, 'For the greater glory of God'. This phrase is often considered as the Jesuit motto but is by no means exclusive to the Jesuits.  

Pope John Paul II, whenever he was writing, printed the letters AMDG on the top left of every page. AMDG is a way of saying that we want whatever we do, think, say or write to be ultimately for God and to give glory to God.  Some argue that it was Ave Maria & Deo Gratias (Hail Mary and Thank God).  Either would be fitting in relation to St. Oliver Plunkett's life.

Semper Fidelis—Always Faithful, because St. Oliver Plunkett gave up his life for his faith. This was the motto used by the Catholic Church after Oliver Plunkett was executed at Tyburn in 1681.

Our School crest was designed in school after research by former Principal.  All the art work was original and was drawn by Mairead Ní Mhaonaigh of "Altan" fame.

The School Crest cast in bronze.

As part of the millennium festivities and to celebrate our 25th anniversary, our school nameplate and crest has been cast in bronze.  The work was commissioned by local Sculptor, Michael Killen.  To make the crest, he first carved it in lime wood.   He then put it into a sand box. This is a mixture of sand and glue which takes on the shape of the carving and will set solid. Once the cast has set, it is cut into two halves and the wood is removed. The sand cast is put back together again and filled with the molten bronze. When this has cooled completely the sand mould is removed, and you have the finished bronze sculpture.

The Crest, School Name with the word "Bród"(pride) were erected on the iconic tower of the Boyd Barrett Building and officially unveiled by Kevin Flanigan who sponsored the commission on June 23, 2000.


The book on the carved wooden crest.

The sculptor at work on the crest.

The finished bronze crest.

 
Back to content | Back to main menu